CITIUS MAG Podcast: Ben True on His NYC Half Win, No Marathon Interest (Yet) & How to Train Alone
Ben True joins The CITIUS MAG Podcast with Chris Chavez to discuss his win at the 2018 United NYC Half. He takes us through how the race played out since I finished 33 minutes behind him and haven’t been able to watch a replay yet.
With his 62:39 winning time, Ben became the first American male open division winner in the event’s history. He finished ahead of Dathan Ritzenhein and Chris Thompson on a chilly and windy morning in New York City.
Ben immediately dismisses any marathon plans and talks but shares a quick story about how he’s actually covered the marathon distance before and what his thoughts are toward the 26.2 mile distance.
Among the questions discussed:
– Feelings about the race now that he’s had time to process it.
– The decision to race a half marathon
– How and why he started working with Ray Treacy (also Molly Huddle’s coach)
– The Lone Wolf mentality and how he stays motived through solo workouts
– What does he consider his best race ever?
– Funniest interaction and story with a drug tester
Listener questions include:
– What does he do to stay healthy?
– Are oats part of his pre-race go-to? What’s his favorite post-race meal?
– Beer Mile: Hassan Mead vs. Ben True
– What’s the best place to run in Lebanon?
– Favorite form of cross training when it’s not skiing season?
– Responding to allegations from his neighbor on why the neighborhood smells of home-brewed coffee
– Will he ever make a return to posting his workouts on Strava?
We also play two Ben Truths and a Ben Lie (h/t Evan Schwartz of the 1609 Podcast for the idea)
You can catch the latest episode of the podcast on iTunes so subscribe and leave a five-star review.
Listen to the latest episode on Soundcloud below:
This episode was brought to you by Maurten. Fuel properly for long distance races! we recommend Maurten. It’s the world’s most carbohydrate-rich sports drink and it’s being used by the top marathoners in the world. Eliud Kipchoge used it during the Breaking2 attempt and the Berlin Marathon. Kenenisa Bekele has been using it since winning the 2016 Berlin Marathon. Mo Farah even used it prior to his gold medal runs at the world championships. It worked for me at the Berlin Marathon and it could work for you. They have two drinks with 40 or 80 grams of carbohydrates and they’re now available in the U.S. Check them out today at Maurten.com
CITIUS MAG PODCAST LISTENERS GET 20% OFF THEIR NEXT ORDER: Use promo code CITIUS20 at checkout. Click the image below to start shopping.