The Standard Charter Dubai Marathon has the richest top prize in the entire sport and so it was wild to see six men charging to the finish line to claim the $200,000 top prize. The even wilder part was that they were all Ethiopian and under 2:05 pace.
- Mosinet Geremew clocked 2:04:00 to claim the win.
- Leul Gebresilase took second place just two seconds behind him but only net $80,000.
- Third place finisher Tamirat Tola (the 2017 champion) ran 2:04:06 and won $40,000.
- Asefa Mengstu Negewo was right with Tola and also finished in 2:04:06 but the photo finish cost him $20,000 so he walked away with just $20,000.
- Sisay Lemma Kasaye was two seconds behind that duo and took fifth in 2:04:08 for $13,000.
- Birhanu Legese Gurmesa was separated just a little bit because he was seven seconds behind for sixth place and that only cost him $1,000 since he netted $12,000.
- Seifu Tura Abdiwak was the last man under 2:05 but was 29 seconds behind the tight finish. He ran 2;04:44 for seventh place and $11,500.
Now we understand that it can get toasty in Dubai, If Tura Abdiwak was parched and wanted to stop and get a drink of water from somewhere along the course, he had four minutes before Tenew Alamirew Getahun crossed the finish line in eighth place and took home $11,000. Four minutes slower and he’s only making $500 less.