Pumped Up Picks: Molly Huddle’s Pre-Race Playlist
In a single word, Molly Huddle is a machine. Having made two Olympic teams, won USATF road championships from 5K to 20K and set American records in the 5,000m and 10,000m, you’d be hard-pressed to find a more courageous and consistent performer than her.
While her racing strategy may seem predictable no matter the distance—lead from the gun, force an honest pace, and break the tape—Huddle’s pre-race music selection is less so. It turns out that the most poised racer on the circuit is a fan of electronica/dance music, likes a healthy dose of hip-hop and is a proud member of the “Beyhive” (see Track 6 for clarification).
While Huddle’s playlist may vary a bit from race to race, a few principles remain:
- “Of course you need a dramatic intro for walking into the track or gym, thus Intro (the xx).”
- “Swish Swish (Katy Perry ft. Nicki Minaj) is pretty sassy, good for any feuds you may be having.”
- “I’m a big Beyoncé fan so she is on most playlists!”
- “Also I like electronica/ dance music so there is usually something like Calvin Harris and a bunch of songs in that genre.”
- “Sometimes you have a workout that destroys you (like for me, every tempo at altitude) and you just want to sit and eat marshmallows while someone tells you it’s gonna be brighter, so I like to end with O-O-OH Child (the Five Stairsteps).”
To find out what Huddle will be jamming to this weekend while preparing to defend her national titles over 10,000m and 5,000m, check out her pre-race playlist below. (Unfortunately, two songs—Freedom (Beyoncé ft. Kendrick Lamar) and Love Songs (DJ Dodger Stadium)—were unavailable on Spotify).
Finally, it’s not too late to brush up on the drama that’s about to go down this weekend, featuring Molly Huddle and a whole lot more. Download The Citius Mag 2017 USATF Outdoor Championships Zine for an event-by-event preview, and get live updates throughout the meet through Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.