By Chris Chavez
August 3, 2023
Notre Dame’s Olivia Markezich, the 2023 NCAA steeplechase champion, has signed a Name Image Likeness deal with On. She is the second NCAA athlete to sign an NIL deal with the Swiss sportswear company.
Here’s what you need to know:
– Markezich is just On’s second-ever NIL signing. Stanford rising sophomore Juliette Whittaker became the first when she signed last month after the U.S. Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
– Markezich won the NCAA steeplechase title in a personal best of 9:25.03. She lowered her PB to 9:17.93 with her fourth place finish at the U.S. Championships.
– Her time is No. 2 on the all-time collegiate list behind Courtney Wayment’s 9:16.00 NCAA record from 2022.
– She was the 3000m runner-up at the NCAA Indoor Championships. She was a member of the Fighting Irish’s distance medley relay team that finished third at the meet.
– Markezich attends Notre Dame, which is sponsored by Under Armour. Much like Whittaker, this means that she will not be able to wear On at practice or university-organized events. She will wear On outside of those occasions. If she went on a run on her own, she will wear On. She will also post about and attend a few On events throughout the year. At postseason meets, she can wear On footwear and apparel.
Chris Chavez launched CITIUS MAG in 2016 as a passion project while working full-time for Sports Illustrated. He covered the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and grew his humble blog into a multi-pronged media company. He completed all six World Marathon Majors and is an aspiring sub-five-minute miler.